Monday, October 15, 2007

Telephone v. online communication

Just read Pamela's post about everyone at her daughter's party being on their cell phones to people who weren't at the party. I was just in Bloomington for a funeral, and saw lots of people walking around campus talking into their cell phones. I'm just not that way - I don't really want to spend any significant percentage of my life on the phone.

Oddly, I don't mind being connected online as much. Maybe because telephone conversations are more immediate/demand more of your attention. We introverts just want to be alone with our thoughts much of the time, and with instant messaging, it's much more common to stop typing for a long span for whatever reason, and it's not considered terribly rude to simply get up and go do something else. Somewhat rude, I guess, but not terribly. Nowhere near as rude as hanging up on someone with no warning.

I'm sure that there are still teenagers who don't even have cell phones, or who have them but talk on them about as often as I do. But I wonder if the average teen spends more time on a cell phone today than the average teen spent on the old-fashioned phone 30 years ago?

4 comments:

Steve said...

Since Sam and Mary have the only parents left in the world without a cellphone they're going to be really ticked when they don't get their own down the road. So, eventually, in a dozen years or so we'll have a constantly ringing home phone - just like back in the 70s/80s.

Ian said...

Nah, in a dozen years you'll be the only parents without a multipurpose communication device wired into your head, so the kids will have to rely on their handheld ... are you sure you want to embarrass them like that?!

Steve said...

Oh, the embarrassments by having an "old school" dad will never end for these two poor kids.

Heather said...

I was probably on the phone (attached to a cord) for 6 hours a day at least in my teenage years... Oh the waste of time!