Wednesday, October 24, 2007

9 years too late

While I was in Bloomington recently for the funeral of a friend's mom, I was driving down Kirkwood and mentally noted the place where "Oz Bach's Boogie Woogie Burger Bus" had had its short life. It was kind of a greasy grill, but it had character ... and I thought to myself "I should look that guy up."

I did that this evening, and I immediately found the Oz Bach was the bass player for Spanky and Our Gang. You know, Sunday Will Never Be the Same, Lazy Day, and other pop goodness. I had a feeling that with a name like Oz Bach, it could only be the same guy, and when I went to the Spanky and Our Gang page devoted to him, there he was looking out at me - the same Oz Bach that I had bought hamburgers from in his old bus sitting on Kirkwood Avenue in 1979.

He was about 40 then, and he died in 1998, just shy of 60. I wish I'd figured it out sooner.

1 comment:

Ian said...

omg - I have a picture of him that I took when I was in a photojournalism class in high school.