Monday, October 15, 2007

But it's SHALLOW and POINTLESS!

This is a response to several blog posts that talk about the inanity of this 2.0 application or the pointlessness of that 2.0 application.

A lot of the "social networking" applications might seem shallow and pointless as stated. One of the interesting things about Learning 2.0 - to me - is that there are a lot of ways to think about the various applications, and it's interesting to me to figure out what would be a good way to think about some of the shallow and pointless ones.

Both your creative side and your analytical side can play a part in figuring out how to make a 2.0 application work for you. Of course, there's no obligation to do anything more than try them out.

Everyone has one (at least!) that they can't get past ... *cough*MYSPACE*cough* ... but I see both Twitter and Facebook as windows into people's lives that ordinarily I wouldn't have. For instance, I'm friends with Jessie Voors on Facebook. I know her slightly, from Teen Summer Reading, and from being connected through the library family ... but when she went off to college, I could have lost track of her altogether, except perhaps for twice yearly updates from Mary. But with our connection through Facebook, I not only get absolutely delightful (and sometimes outrageous) updates about what she's doing and thinking about, I also exchange emails with her once or twice a month, with an observation about something similar that happened to me in my college theatre career, or just to congratulate her on getting a part in a play.

The fact that I knew a cool kid like Jessie while she was growing up has great value to me. The idea that I can continue to know a cool person like Jessie because she allows me this little window into her life has immense value to me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Well said!
I am still on thing 7, but I see the great things to come. Your post about Jessie makes me realize that I could totally use these tools to connect with my teenage nieces who are so far away.

Lynn said...

Hear, hear!

I know someone who's exploring L2.0 who got herself an account on Facebook. When it went through her email address book to find friends for her, she got connected to her college-age daughters' AND some of their friends! She was mortified! She immediately emailed her daughters to apologize for embarassing them: she never meant to be Facebook friends.