Thursday, September 20, 2007

New Haven Branch ROCKS!

Every single one of NWH's staff has signed up for Learning 2.0!

Okay, seriously, it's not a contest, it's not about peer pressure, it's not required. It's simply a good idea.

Maybe you're not in a place where you can acknowledge that right now. Maybe you're where I was a few months ago with specific regard to MySpace. All (well, most) of the other things we had on the list for Learning 2.0, I was down with. But MySpace? I despised MySpace. As I've said elsewhere, I think MySpace did a lot of research into how to make a really intuitive social networking site, and then, where possible, did the exact opposite.

But it's not about what you think of the Things on the list. It's about the fact that our customers are using those Things, and we should try them out so that we'll be able to help them - or at least know what they're talking about. So if you've formed a negative opinion about some Thing or other, and know you'd never use it yourself in a million years, fine. You're entitled to your opinion. Now: set that aside for a moment while you explore the Thing and get familiar enough with it to have some idea what it's about. Done? Great. Pick up your opinion again on the way out the door. I know, you're still annoyed with it. I still despise MySpace. But I know what people are talking about when they have a question about it.

3 comments:

Sean Robinson said...

We have 100% staff registration for Woodburn also.

Ian said...

Rock on Woodburn!

library chicken said...

Just FYI, MySpace is working on their sucky interface. They now have two different "backend" views. I like the new one except their new profile editor only works in IE. Talk about sucky.